The Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists (VCOM) has just received word that HB 2193, the bill introduced by Delegate Roxann Robinson to amend section 18.2-324 of the Code of Virginia to clarify that it is illegal to blow grass onto the highway, will now be heard in sub-committee this afternoon. Grass on the road can be a hazard to motorists, especially motorcyclists, and particularly in curves when the grass becomes wet.
I have posted the email address for each member of the sub-committee below so that you can email your support for this bill if you wish. Should you choose to email the members, feel free to point out the following:
1. The bill simply amends Code Section 18.2-324, which prohibits depositing items that are a hazard to vehicular travel onto the roads, so that grass is included in that list of items.
2. Grass can be a hazard to motorcyclists, especially in a curve when wet, due to the grass becoming slippery.
3. This bill is in keeping with the original purpose of 18.2-324, which was to keep substances off of the roads which can affect a vehicle’s tires and cause a vehicle to lose traction.
4. The statute already includes soil, sand, mud, and gravel. Grass can be as dangerous to motorcycles as any of those substances.
5. Unlike leaves and pine needles which can fall naturally onto the roads, grass must be blown or dropped onto the road. That action should be prohibited.
Keep in mind that the term highway as used in this code section refers to all roads open to vehiclular travel. As always, if you have any questions or comments about this bill or any other matters before the General Assembly, please do not hesitate to contact me.
The members of the sub-committee are as follows:
Delegate Gilbert (Chairman) DelTGilbert@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Bell DelRBell@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Adams DelLAdams@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Collins DelCCollins@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Ransone DelMRansone@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Watts DelVWatts@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Herring DelCHerring@house.virginia.gov
Delegate Mullin Delmmullin@house.virginia.gov
McGrath, Danielson, Sorrell & Fuller
The Motorcycle Law Group